Home » Local News » Currently Reading:

Is a former MTS patient haunting her home?

January 30, 2010 Local News 21 Comments
The whole P.R.O.O.F. team gathers in the cellar of the Stafford Road, Mansfield house, close to midnight on Friday. Here they hope to record with cameras and audio equipment the presence of spirits in the building. From the bottom left, clockwise is founder Joe Gallant, documentary cameraman Joe McCarthy, members Rubin Velesquez, Pat Fadershack and MaryAnn Terpack, volunteer Kristy Baker and case manager Amanda DeVivo. Photo by Al Malpa.

The whole PROOF team gathers in the cellar of the Stafford Road, Mansfield house, close to midnight on Friday. Here they hope to record with cameras and audio equipment the presence of spirits in the building. From the bottom left, clockwise is founder Joe Gallant, documentary cameraman Joe McCarthy, members Rubin Velesquez, Pat Fadershack and MaryAnn Terpack, volunteer Kristy Baker and case manager Amanda DeVivo. Photo by Al Malpa.

Amy Moore, owner and resident of one of the buildings formerly known as the Mansfield Training School, can handle a gentle handhold and the humming of an invisible woman. It’s the late-night ear whispers and deep, diabolical growls that scare her.

“I didn’t even believe that stuff, until I moved in there,” said Moore.

She added that she is now a believer and that she is surrounded by countless ghosts in her Stafford Road home.

After years of unanswered questions, sweaty palms and hair-raising experiences, Moore called local paranormal experts to see if her fear was unfounded or real.

Members of PROOF – Paranormal Researchers Of Odd Findings – conducted a 48-hour investigation in the expansive four-story home Jan. 23-24.

PROOF has had a visible presence in the area at several ghost hunting-themed events at local libraries, museums and civic groups.

On this particular weekend, a team of six PROOF investigators descended on the house with video cameras, voice recorders and other hi-tech equipment to monitor frequencies and energy in the 15-plus room home.

Not her imagination

Their findings confirmed for Moore that she, her daughter-in-law, son and grandchild are not alone in the home.

Moore has lived in the home – one of several buildings that were part of the former psychiatric complex until 1993 – for the past 13 years. She said they are years full of nightmares and terror.

Some of the spirits are gentle and hold her hand or wrap their energy around her, Moore said.

Others are not as keen to have people living in a building where so many died and experienced the torture of early medicine and psychiatric treatment.

According to Moore, anyone who enters the house can automatically sense there is something eerie in the woodwork of the more than 100-year-old structure.

“If you walked into my house, you would feel sad,” she said. “Not depressed, but the sadness of lost people.”

In addition to her own experience, Moore said the spirits have made physical and audible contact with other residents of the home and those who visit.

She said an electrician was working in the basement of the home one day and felt someone grab his shoulder.

The electrician – who did not see anyone by him to explain the mysterious touch – quickly packed his belongings and did not return to the house to finish the job.

On the third floor of the suspected haunted house on Stafford Road in Mansfield, P.R.O.O.F. members attempt to make audio contact with the spirits thought to lurk there. Here they use a specially made electronic receiver that provides them such contact. On the right sits Joe Galant who is being filmed by volunteer Kristy Baker on the left and documentary cameraman Joe McCarthy in the center. The P.R.O.O.F. organization whos place of business is Willimantic, recently signed a  contract with Bravo and the SciFi channel to create a documentary on the paranormal. Photo by Al Malpa

On the third floor of the suspected haunted house on Stafford Road in Mansfield, PROOF members attempt to make audio contact with the spirits thought to lurk here with a specially made electronic receiver. On the right sits Joe Galant, who is being filmed by volunteer Kristy Baker on the left and documentary cameraman Joe McCarthy in the center. The PROOF organization - based in Willimantic - recently signed a contract with Bravo and the SciFi channel to create a documentary on the paranormal. Photo by Al Malpa

Threatening presences

As a result of the investigation, Joseph Gallant, founder of PROOF, determined the spirits in the house were not diabolic, but still posed a threat to the family.

Gallant said the spirits have been re-classified as an “E-Combo” – which means there is a mixture of intelligent and residual hauntings in the home.

Although the results will not be released until a later date, Gallant said the investigation did confirm that there is something happening in the Moore household.

“We went into the house and it’s not demonic, but it is a negative presence,” he said.

An investigator was pinched and the team recorded the humming of an unidentified woman, but the most dramatic evidence, Gallant said, was  a full apparition of the angry male spirit in the house that was caught on tape. “We got the name of a full-bodied apparition,” said Gallant.

Mysterious man

He said PROOF members would not release the name of the spirit until it is confirmed the spirit has a connection to the homestead.

Identifying might be difficult due to the fact that records of the hospital were not kept and the building used to be owned by the state, said Gallant.

According to Gallant, the apparition – which appeared as a black, 6-foot-2-inch tall silhouette with the distinct shape of a head, shoulders and legs – announced himself as he was walking from one room to another on the second floor.

Gallant said the male lived at the training school and claimed to have been killed by a fellow patient.

Evicting the spirits

Names or no names, hostile or not, Moore said she wants whatever – who whoever – is plaguing the home gone.

She said Gallant and his team plan to conduct a “banishing” next week to force the spirits out of the home, so she can live there in peace.

According to Gallant, a banishing will rid the house of both the negative and positive energy that inhabits the structure.

“It’s more of a Wiccan method for ridding spirits,” said Gallant. The six-hour event includes blessing the house, burning sage and praying.

For more information about PROOF, visit their Web site at www.teamproof.com

Currently there are "21 comments" on this Article:

1. Bitzer says:

So where is the pic of the full body apparition??

2. Justin says:

If anyone is interested, I found the address of the house. I wouldn’t recommend visiting the house, but if you want to find it on Google maps or something, the address is 1308 Stfford Rd. Storrs Mansfield, CT.
    The family has really done a wonderful job with it!

3. Justin says:

Anyone have an address or a general location? I don’t want to go visit it or anything (I live in Ohio and have no intentions on bothering the family), I just like to locate things on a map. So if anyone has any details where this house is, please let me know!

4. Lisa Smith says:

interesting to say the most, though my opinions vary on this topic only due to my own experiences. I’ve read through records that were available but found several dead ends. many of them seem to be muddied by people with closed minds, narrow opinions, and a serious case of CYA.

5. Madeline Mindy says:

My dad, my aunt , my uncle, and mother in law, all worked ,and lived there,MTS in staff housing. I started in the care taking field, in community. I LOVE DRIVING THROUGH THERE< JUST TO SEE < HOW FAR< WE NEVER GOT…SAD, but more abuse can happen ,in privacy of ones home, rather then a ward. RN"s ONLY GAVE MEDS, now we do, so many mistakes leading to serious medical, and legal issues. People out in society don't like seeing a van , and clients in community. Esp, if it's holding them up in their bank lines, grocery store registers,a movie. oh the list ,could go on. I have learned more from my disabled friends,and I have a deep respect, coupled with admiration, and of course, True, honest, pure love. I never judged anyone, and nobody judged me. I wasn't anyone with a past, or bad reputation,I was there, for them. These patients have always, repeatedly lost everyone, that they ever got close too.Starting with their parents,sisters, brother's and other family members. Yet, I was always greeted with ' their honesty ', weather or not ,it was pretty it was honest.Over and Over they allowed a new staff, a new person ,INTO their lives, homes, and hearts. I spent 20 yrs,of my life doing what I LOVED< I AM BLESSED!! Most of the MTS residents, have passed on ,but not all of them. THE difference between the "new type clients" we are serving, and the MTS clients. THE new population,is coming from home, or foster homes, elderly housing projects,ect, THE DIFFERENCE IS THE AMMOUNT OF TRUE GRADIFICATION >>tHANKs<<<>> MADELINE BIAMONTE< STORRS<CT

6. John Flanders says:

Ive done a bit of research as I just watched the episode of “Paranormal Witness” involving this house, for starters, the “real pictures” of the house at the time of the t.v. episode, compared to a picture I viewed from 2009, The Moore Family has done an amazing job with this house’s appearance. Also, at the end of the episode she offers anyone who thinks they can handle such an experience, to come on down for a visit, so I too am curious if that offer was legitimate. I also read somewhere that the banishment was successful? were the burnt remains of people ever identified or verified that it was even human?

7. Yes I was also wondering if people could stay there to experience some of these hauntings?

• Madeline Mindy says:

The house is still having work done, updates. I drive by it weekly. It is on my rd.

I never got any strange ‘feelings’ about the house,which I usually pick up on. Maybe I have to be closer, but , considering they own a electric company, I thought it was funny ,that a electrian got spooked downstairs, why not say employee?

• Lisa Smith says:

Sad that you spend so much time (which looks like obsession) trying to debunk something you have zero close-encounter with yourself. and also have zero “facts” just more speculation. hope you find a better drive in life than to think that you “know” anything you have not witnessed nor were even alive for, careful what you state hun, life has a way of giving back what you put out. I have, nor had any belief that there was any statement made directly towards anyone that is mentally-challenged nor otherwise. If so, I have my own opinions, thank you very much, and i’ll keep those to myself. I’d pray for you hun, to find guidance, and a more productive calling in life than to attack these people based solely on your opinion, but i fear it would be in vane. This, is my opinion and reflection on your many comments made in various places. it’s sad…smh.

• Justin says:

She said nothing offensive, nor was she ‘attacking’ anyone.
          How about you spend your time doing something productive with your life, rather than meaninglessly pestering someone for no reason?

• Guest says:

Wow. How’d you reach this conclusion homegirl?

8. Shaun Underwood says:

nothing new. Just watched the show’s At first its looks like the place from hell. I doing some research and I like to know where I can find the pictures of the little girl killed at the house?

9. sam templeman says:

Hi my name is sam templeman i am from england and would love to visit mansfield and stay at amys home to experiance this my self if any one knows amy or has contact details could you please email me at s.temps90@gmail.com would appreciate it
    king regards
    sam templeman

10. NeoShell says:

Any updates?

11. darla says:

This woman needs to become a Christian and command the demons to leave her home in the name of JESUS, in order to have them STAY gone. The 6’2″ “man” they saw is NO man, it’s a demon. In order for Ms. Moore to be at peace there, she needs to do that, or consult the Catholic Church for an exorcism. It’s easier and cheaper for a born again Christian to do this, though, and far more effective, if the Christian doing this, is the owner house.

12. Robert says:

After The Mansfield Training School closed the state gave the buildings to the University of CT except for the portion they turned into Bergin Correctional Ctr.
    In the 1990′s the University sold 7 of the houses around the corner from the training school main campus including the haunted one.
    My wife and I actually looked at the house but declined to bid because of the amount of work needed and the size. Good thing I guess !

13. Ichabod says:

As this was formerly the Connecticut School for Imbeciles, perhaps “intelligent haunting” isn’t really the most appropriate term.

14. Nikki says:

Okay, I’m confused. This artical says that the buildings are used for a school now but in “Paranormal Whitness” the family is living in one of the buildings. Which is it? It would be nice to have some kind of map of the grounds showing each building then and now as part of this artical. Just a suggestion! :) I really enjoyed reading this arctical and watching the show “Paranormal Whitness”. I was freaked out!

15. Lisa says:

So what happened after the “banishing?”

16. Anonymous says:

To “Team Proof”:

Take the challenge.

17. Brett MacNamara says:

I lived at that house, formerly known as Greenlawn, on Stafford Road from 1974 until 1986. I definitely felt like I was not alone, sometimes.

Comment on this Article:

Sponsors

Business

Windham and Storrs microgrid power projects could get additional funding

electric-bolt

Press Release Gov. Dannel P. Malloy announced Oct. 30 that nine towns that are part of a pilot microgrid program, including Windham and Storrs, are eligible for additional funding. The …

In Mansfield, Get a jump on toy shopping

Over the Rainbow Toys in the East Brook Mall on the Mansfield/Willimantic town line is closing its doors at 5 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 2, according to an e-blast sent to its customers today.

And between now and Nov. 2, shoppers will receive a 30 percent discount on all in-stock merchandise at the mall location – excluding Lego and Bruder toys.

UConn President responds to accusations school failed to act on sexual assault complaints

UConn President Susan Hebst. File photo.

There are circumstances under which the university should notify a student that another student who may have been suspended or expelled from campus will be returning, if they are returning. It is my understanding that this notification did not take place in a case that occurred three years ago and it should have. This process was corrected. – UConn President Susan Herbst

September  2014